5.1 But what about other religions? Are they not good enough to get you to heaven or its equivalent?
- Basically all religions, and including a number that come under the name of “Christian”, make us depend on our works or deeds (that are far from perfect) for salvation.
- Yet the salvation that the Bible speaks about is people depending on what God does in perfection for us. Salvation is not about us giving to God but, amazingly, it is God giving many spiritual gifts to us e.g forgiveness, peace and a right standing before Him etc. Romans c8v32 “He (God – v31) that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?” Ephesians c1v3 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:”
- Also the leaders of religions are all dead and their graves are with us today. However “Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures.” (1 Corinthians c15v3-4). Christ arose with “many infallible proofs” (5a) and will come back to this earth again to judge (5b) and to reign over the earth (see later). For the evidence for the resurrection see link.
5.2 You say that the only way to be saved is by faith in Christ. Isn’t it narrow minded to think that there is only one way?
- Do not people issue invitations to limited audiences? People are invited because of their ability, qualifications, social standing, wealth, suitability or other reasons. However we all have disqualified ourselves from going to heaven, and yet can enter God’s heavenly home through the means that He has provided.
- When you invite people to your home do you not have automatic standards of acceptability? Is it acceptable for a person in your home to smash your furniture, steal your money and assault people? If someone started doing that in your home would you not put them out for this unacceptable behaviour? Our sin has made us unacceptable to God and yet He has made a way for us to find acceptance and peace with Him and to go to and enjoy His home.
- Jesus said that no one could come to God the Father, except through Him (5c).
- The apostle Peter, one of the Lord Jesus’ twelve disciples and a writer of part of the New Testament, said that no one could be saved in any other way than through Christ (5d).
- And the apostle Paul, another of the New Testament writers, wrote that there is no other foundation except Jesus Christ (5e).
- Also Christ is the only Person Who has both died and risen again (see 5.1 above).
Faith in Christ is the only way of salvation.
5a Acts c1v3 “To whom also he (the Lord Jesus – v1) shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.”
5b Acts c17v30 “God … now commands all men every where to repent: Because he has appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he has ordained; whereof he has given assurance unto all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.”
5c John’s Gospel c14v6 “Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.”
5d Acts c4v8 “Peter … said unto them,” v12 “Neither is there salvation in any other (the Lord Jesus – v10): for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”
5e 1 Corinthians c3v11 “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.”